Thursday, September 19, 2013

Kitty life

Do you have a best friend? And by best friend I mean a pet. Any kind of pet in the world. Someone who has become part of the family? You just can't wait to play with them, get home to them after work, cuddle with them, and sleep with them.

Well I have one of those and he just melts my heart every single day! 


                   
                              Dexter Sleeping Away


I have had him for almost a year now. And even though I have NEVER and I mean never been a cat person, he stole my heart from day one. When I use to think of cats- I always thought they were mean, they hissed at you, and even hid every time you came into the room. Dexter is the EXACT opposite. 100% HANDS DOWN!!! 

But did you ever wonder what in the heck does your pet do all day while you are gone? It may sound weird but I really do think about it all the time. Sometimes I want to put a camera in the house so I can watch him but I know I'm crazy right? This topic came up as Dex and I were outside he was just sitting on the steps watching the birdies and I was sitting there watching him, trying to come up with my next blog post, and then I thought up this. I mean I probably could have came up with a better one, but I am sure there are a ton of people who think the same thing. 

So what do they do? Truthfully I have never seen a cat sleep so much in my life more than this kitty. But that's what they do!


So our day starts at about 4:30 am for my workout and the little guy loves hanging out with me while I do that. Then we go up and get some treats and he goes off on his own to either play/sleep while I'm showering. Then when it's time to leave around 6:15, it's breakfast time for him and were off. 

Empty space in between. What does he do from then til about 3:20 at the latest when my dad comes home....

I honestly think once we leave he probably jumps for joy because he has the house to himself and no one bothers him. 
 
 
 
Then he goes back to sleep right after his party for a few good hours. 
 
Wakes up, cleans himself, stretches, goes to eat a little food, take a drink of water, and uses the bathroom. 
Maybe plays with his toys for a little. (He is the easiest cat to buy for. All you have to do is go shopping and give him your empty bag or water bottle caps and he come do that for hours!)
 
And does it all over again. 
 

Until about 3ish, he knows my dad will be coming home soon so he tends to wait for him, because he knows he'll get to go outside. He plops down right at my dads feet to get his belly rubbed as he is meowing, and then runs right up to the front door to go out. Not even giving my dad a full minute or two of being home. (and yes I'm sure everyone is thinking well why doesn't he just let him out?) truth is we don't have much of a wooded area, there are dogs out everywhere, and I just don't want him lost) so we have him on a leash. 

Sounds crazy? 

Probably, but that's truly okay because I know he's not lost and he's safe and sound.

My dad takes him outside until Mom & I get home from work after 5. He comes in, I have him his wet food for dinner. And it never fails, as soon as he is done, he runs right over to that door and starts meowing to go back outside. Now, that I have decided to let him go outside he never wants to come in. And he won't unless you pick him up and take him or its raining. 

He chases moths, butterflies, flies. He watches the birds to try and catch them but he's too slow. And recently he has been having a running war with chipmunks. He spots one before anyone else does and just bolts. If you aren't paying attention get ready to run because he will drag you. 

This one time he spotted one and it ran under our pool heater. I swear Dexter was there for at least a half an hour trying to catch him. He would put his paws under one side and the chippy would go closer to the other side and back and forth. The chip even was throwing those little red berries to get him away. But it didn't work. Dex must have touched him because that chippy came and we went flying across the yard. 
 
We come back in. He goes straight to his food/water bowl. Plops down after eating. Cleans himself. And then falls asleep. It is literally no more than five minutes and he is up and moving around. Ready to play, but mostly waiting for that person to take him outside. He probably goes outside now til about almost nine pm and is still wanting to be outside. I'll tell you if we let him choose when he wanted to come in we would be sleeping outside.
 
We go get his bed time treats, and if he can't be outside he will be awake as ever running up and down the halls, trying to chase you, bite your feet, or playing with his water bottle cap. Usually, when I lay down to go to sleep he comes in and gets ready to sleep on his Pitt blanket. Yes, of course he sleeps in my bed with me.
 
Momma's Boy
 
I'm not really sure where this blog topic was going, but I was really in deep thought on what my kitty does on a typical day. I mean think about it, they are home all day by themselves. No interaction, no one to play with. What else can they do.
 
A day in the life of a household pet.....
 
Sleep. Eat. Play. Repeat.
 
Tough life they have huh?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment