Sunday, February 8, 2015

Weekly Meal Prepping- How To Batch Your Food

Soooo...did you know that nutrition is 80% of your results or were you like me & you thought because you worked out , you could eat whatever the heck you wanted (insert your honesty here)? I mean you are putting so much time in at the gym: cardio, weight training, maybe your taking a spinning class, but then as soon as your done you are fueling your body with fast foods, desserts, anything far from right. It took me a while to realize this, but then one day I just wasn't seeing the results I know I should have been seeing. It wasn't until I picked up the book by Tosco Reno - book name that it became my light bulb moment.

Meal Planning for the Week


You can't out exercise a bad diet, you really really can't. Meal Prepping and clean eating is something that does take a little bit of time, but honestly it is time well spent. Think about it, we are busy people running around, always on the go. So, naturally we want something quick and easy which is why the fast food industry does so well. Let me ask you a question : if you had meal already prepped, things you could just throw in your lunch box would you choose that? I know I would...if its not there I look for anything that is simple and doesn't require a lot of time. 


I know some people think eating healthy is going to be all rabbit food or starving yourself. But this is a lifestyle change...NOT A DIET! And you should totally focus on living a healthier lifestyle vs. how am I going to survive on this food. When you go into it with a negative attitude it's going to be very difficult to succeed. SORRY NOT SORRY, JUST SPEAKING THE TRUTH! Know that I don't always eat clean too, I live by the 80/20 rule. (80% of the time I am eating clean the other 20% is some treats) and you also know that you don't have to cut out your favorite foods (like mine chicken parm), just find ways to make them a little healthier. I'm Italian so anything pasta related I gravitate towards, but I found ways to  not always eat pasta because I get bloated if I eat to much (that's for a later blog post).

Anyways, we are getting off track..back to meal prepping and batching for the week. This was the worst part for me when I started , honestly because I had no idea what I was doing & I had a negative attitude. But one I stopped, got myself together, and took one step at a time. Planning for the week (even could go as far as two) it will save you SO much time & did I mention $$? Who doesn't like to save money?


My days to plan & prep are Sundays, but truly you do this when it works best for you! 

**note this is simply what I do every week & what my list looks like**
**you do not need to follow this step by step, just as long as you have an idea**
**we will create a plan that best works for you**

- chicken breasts 
- ground turkey
- fish (salmon & tilapia are best) I don't like salmon so I always get tilapia
- frozen shrimp (I don't eat that every week so it ends up lasting a while)
- green, yellow, red peppers
- zucchini 
- frozen steamers (veggies)
- eggs
- fresh fruits
- apples (honey crisp are my favorites)
- brown rice 
-mrs dash seasoning (when I run out) there are a TON of flavors that are salt free


Grocery Shopping
 

Prepping your chicken :

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grab a large baking sheet and place tin foil across it.
Next, you want to put the chicken breasts on it and grab your seasoning of choice this week, season the front. Flip then season the back.

2. Place the chicken in the oven for around 30-40 minutes until cooked. You don't want to over or under cook it. 

Batch Cooking
 

Prepping your veggies : 

There are different ways you can cook your veggies, it's all personal preference.  You can put them in the oven or use a pan to sauté them. This week I stuck them in the oven and used zucchini, red & green pepper, snow peas. I put them on a pan added a little pepper & garlic powder. Put in the oven on 350 for about 10-15 minutes (depending on how you like them cooked). Fill your green container and portion out for the week. 

Brown Rice is up next (or you could choose something else) use a steamer or boil water. Following the directions according to the box but know you want to make enough for the week because you can fill that yellow container up.

Hard Boiled Eggs....anytime I tried to boil eggs I always thought I had them in long enough, but turns out it just wasn't long enough. I was getting frustrated and upset because I was wasting eggs so I scrolled through pinterest and found this way to boil eggs.  


Once everything is cooled down get your color containers out and baggies, so you can portion it out and put it in bags to grab and go. Ps if you are missing your containers there is a sheet you can use to know how many cups each one is & if you want to spice it up Target sells colored baggies so you know exactly how many reds, greens, etc you use through the day. Stick everything In the fridge so all you have to do is grab and go. It takes the guess work out of what you'll be having throughout the day if your on the run or have to go to a full time job and it saves stress. I can't tell you how many times when I didn't do this I was miserable. I would come home from work say I'll pack a little later and then somehow it was 9 pm and I was dreading it. Now that I have done this, all I have to do is grab my prepared containers and throw them in my lunch box. And I tend to be a boring person and can eat the same thing everyday so it's pretty simple to batch for the week. You can always switch it up!

21 Day Fix - Portion Control
 

I would love to help answer any questions you may have or help you meal plan for the week if you unsure. If so email me at - alyssayourish@gmail.com or find me on Facebook HERE! 


Maybe you are ready to jump in and join an accountability group. If that is the case please take a moment to sign up and make me your FREE COACH  &  fill out the application to be considered!

1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Yellow, and a Purple
 



HAPPY MEAL PREPPING! 



Fill out my online form.
Online contact and registration forms from Wufoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment