Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Running For Beginners

Want to go running but just don't know where to start?

First and foremost you never want to over do it. 

*remember you are just starting out* even if you have run in the past you are still starting out. You can't expect to run as much as you once did if you stopped. And you certainly don't want to try to run a marathon on your first go. 

You can go as far and however long you want, but you don't want to injury yourself and make this run unenjoyable. I am no running expert, but I want to share what has helped for me.

1. Stretching is a MUST : just because it's slow and you feel like it's doing nothing..do not skip this step. BIG mistake I always made. It's helping to warm up your muscles and get the body moving. Think about it..if you aren't always using those muscles, they may not work properly.

2. Finding running shoes that work based on your running style : (still have to do this) but by the way you run there are certain shoes that work best. Are you a toe to heel runner or opposite? Did you ever think about it?

3. Get your motivation : for me when I'm exercising I always have to be listening to music or personal development. Usually it's personal development (download the podcast app & your favorite listens). If it's music I just type in workout on Pandora.

4. Find flat land : I would start running on flat land. This of course is only my opinion, but if you are just starting out you want to build up your momentum. You can certainly try hills and intervals but you are going to use more energy and personally if you want to enjoy it, you don't want to over do it on day one.

5. Don't sprint : do not try and run super fast...if you do you are going to run yourself down before the first lap is over. Pace yourself, find your stride, it's okay to run a little slow. You have to get comfortable with your pace. Remember you are just starting out.

6. Track your progress : now a days there are all sorts of apps you can use. I recently downloaded the map my run app. All you have to do is click the start workout button and it does all the work.  Time, distance, calories, shows you a map of where you ran, you can also save your workouts to see what they were previous days.

running for beginners
 
7. Stay hydrated : so I don't carry a water bottle with me on the run, BUT I always make sure to drink a glass before I go and as soon as I get home I chug one.  
 
8. Enjoy : just enjoy what you are doing. Enjoy the scenery. Everything about your run. I love listening to my personal development and getting new ideas, or clearing my head. But if you don't enjoy it and you just "think" you have to run; you aren't going to stick with it!
 
I hope these few simple tips help! Like I said I am no expert by any means, and I did just start running this week. But these tips are what helped me to continue to get out there every single day. Feel free to email me : alyssayourish@gmail.com or find me on FB - Alyssa Yourish if you have questions !
 
Lots of love! <3
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment