Thursday, July 24, 2014

REAL TALK: Look how far you have come

I've actually had this post in mind for about a week. I have delayed writing it. It's almost like I lose my words when I start writing & stare at the blank screen.

Why? Because last Thursday to be exact was one month of physical therapy. One month and I was to be done and back to "normal" (is what I thought). And here we are five weeks in and my therapist drew out another months plan to get approved, but we are trying two weeks to see where I am. 

When week four hit, I was so excited & anxious to get back into running or start cardio again. I never in a million years would have ever imagined hearing me say, "I miss cardio." But I do. So, on Monday we decided to try running on the treadmill...slow jog. If it started to get painful I was to get back to walking. Not even three minutes in & I was feeling the pain. I had to instantly stop, got off the treadmill, and I was limping. My therapist looked at me and said, "okay so we learned-you are not ready to run yet." I literally looked him the eyes (disappointed) & said... maybe I am just not meant to run.
Knee Injuries
 
 
He told me I am, just not right now. I thought about how this really affected me at that moment. How I really felt & I was so upset, that I was not 100% and could still not run. For four weeks, 2 times a week, for at least an hour each time I would go to physical therapy and for what? Was it working? Is it worth it?
 
It is worth it. I am always telling myself progress vs. perfection. I may not be able to run & get cardio in. But the bigger picture is I have come much further than I was on day one. On day one I had no strength or flexibility. I was moving like a snail on every single exercise & almost in tears. I couldn't walk, my knee never relaxed, and I was just uncomfortable. Even though I am not done, I have come so far. My strength and flexibility have improved greatly. I am moving faster through my exercise, upping my reps, using more resistance.
 
You may not be where you want to be  at that moment, but take it all in and remember where you started.
 
So, I will admit I was down because I am STILL going to physical therapy. And still have at least one more week if not more. But I know to trust the process and be patient. Everything happens for a reason and I am only going to come back stronger!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment